Monday, February 16, 2015

Welcome!

Hello readers! I am so excited to do this project.  As many of you are aware, I am completing my bachelor's of science in nursing (BSN) finally and this is my second to last semester.  I am taking a course in Nursing Leadership and for the clinical project, I have chosen to do a blog series regarding childbirth and recovery.  Now some of you may be wondering why an ER nurse would be interested in this area, so I will enlighten you:

I am passionate about pregnancy and childbirth! I love to see the miracle of birth unravel from the time I have a gummy bear in my uterus to the point of holding a snuggly little newborn in my arms.  It is even greater to watch that newborn grow and grow until they are walking and talking and sharing their opinions.  Furthermore, I want others to have a good experience with childbirth. With my son, I had a few complications with labor and it was a little traumatizing.  I didn't talk about it much with anyone but my husband, mostly because it was scary to talk about. I pushed a long time, had epidural complications, lots of tearing, forcep delivery, LOTS of bleeding, and an absolutely terrible recovery and initial breastfeeding experience. It is not a fond memory aside from meeting my little boy.

Now with my daughter, it was like night and day! I had a short and comfortable medication-free labor and an excellent recovery. I believe that the stark difference was all in the preparation.  I am not going to be telling you what I think you should do and I definitely will not be advocating one birthing method over another as we all have something that works or doesn't work for us, but I want to share with you a little about what you can expect with different birthing methods (epidurals, c-section, vaginal, meds, etc) and also touch on some things about recovery that you should expect, as there are few books that discuss what to expect when recovering from childbirth!

Thanks for reading, everyone, and feel free to share your personal advice or ask questions in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment